The Windmill at Carrownabo
The Windmill in Carrownabo is what’s known as Drum Windmill.
John Whyte / Mary Lyons
The Windmill in Carrownabo is what’s known as Drum Windmill. It is believed that the first began to be used in the 13th century however, after close examination no actual date can be found on this particular one so we can only guess how old it is. The earliest documented evidence of its existence is on the 1842 ordinance map. Its location on top of what appears to be an early medieval mound might suggest that an early wooden Windmill stood on this site prior to the present stone built structure.
The walls of the Windmill stand just over 7 meters high. When it was in use it would have been approximately 3 meters higher. This would include its rotating Cap which has long since decayed.