The Carrs were originally involved in linen weaving. By the 19th century they were large stock farmers, who held lands in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, from the Bellews of Mount Bellew. They built Lakeview House, which was their home until their estate was taken over by the Land Commission in the early 1920s. An offer from the Congested Districts Board was accepted on over 170 acres of the Carr estate in 1914. A family member, Thomas Joseph Carr, became Bishop of Galway in 1883 and in 1887 he became Archbishop of Melbourne, Australia.